With only a couple more weeks left of the school summer holidays we are reminiscing about the 7 best things about the school summer holidays that we enjoyed as a child. As adults, we can’t afford this commodity to enjoy the full 6 weeks holidays we used to have as kids but we can certainly remind ourselves of fond memories and try our best to help you relive them with us at Gran Isla Hotels this year.
So we have created a list of the best things we used to enjoy about the 6 weeks holidays. Some of the following points are very simple, but, and we are sure you would agree, as you get older you realise it’s the little things in life that matter the most. The things you used to do at home, whilst playing outside with your siblings or neighbours, heading out on weekend bike rides with your parents or enjoying Sundays roasts outside in the beer garden. So read on to discover our simple but most impactful memories of summer as a child.
- Throwing your homework into a bonfire. Well not literally, unless you reallyyy want to. With having to stress all year round about homework, revision and essay deadlines it comes as a relief to finally be able to say adios to all those evenings and weekends of having to stay inside and work until bedtime. And what better time to not have to think about this than in summer, with longer days and more opportunities to play outside with your siblings or neighbours, playing tig or curby or having water fights and buying ice cream from the ice cream van? These 6 weeks are meant for you, to let off some steam and play outside all summer long.
- Cooling down with your favourite ice cream. What’s summer without overindulging on every ice cream possible? Choc ices, screwballs, Fab ice lollies, Cornettos, Magnums, Twisters… We’ve all had nearly every one of these during the summertime. And what about ice slushies? Summer is the perfect time for avoiding being judged for overindulging on unlimited ice creams and ice slushies at our Jutlandia Family Resort or at any of our other hotels this summer with the all-inclusive board basis to keep you cool and full-up all week long.
- Sleeping past noon every. single. day. Yes, no more 7am wake-ups for school. You can enjoy 6 weeks of lie-ins and recovering. This is especially relevant in summer because of the heat zapping all the energy out of us. You can enjoy late nights at home or at sleepovers and not have to worry about rising early for school or hurried last-minute revision sessions. This is even more applicable when you’re on holiday with us as, among some of our Gran Isla services, you can enjoy late check out when you book directly with us. Early starts are a thing of the past (well, for the time being 😉 ) both at home and whilst you’re on your stay with us.
- All day pool sessions. Whether you buy your own garden pool at B&Q, head to your local swimming baths or enjoy the ones at our Gran Isla hotels, it’s almost an unsaid rule that you have to enjoy a least one dip in the water during the hottest time of the year. Splashing about with your siblings, relaxing on a lilo or enjoying the fun slides at Pirates Village are key to a perfect, memorable summer.
- Delicious BBQ smells all summer long. It wouldn’t be a proper British summer without a weekend BBQ with all the family. Sizzling sausages, fried onions and a butter-coated corn on the cob. And if you don’t feel like manning the BBQ yourself then don’t worry as we have you covered every Thursday at our Tropico Playa Hotel with a BBQ and cocktails on the terrace whilst you chill out to the latest summer sounds.
- Forgetting what day of the week it is. Oh the privilege! Isn’t it a great feeling to feel so chilled out and relaxed, away from your normal weekly responsibilities, that you actually forget what day of the week it is? The only downside is that summer goes past so fast that you lose track of time and don’t realise summer is drawing to a close until you only have a few days left to enjoy with your family and friends. Even with this though, to be able to forget what day it is is something that gives you such a great feeling of satisfaction.
- Reading an endless amount of books. Okay so maybe this is the last thing you want to do as kids (especially after a year of reading for exams, essays and revision) but we’re sure the adult you can certainly appreciate this. Having alone time to enjoy reading your favourite novels in a serene and tranquil setting is something that only summertime allows you to experience. You’ll find the setting you’ve been looking for on the fantastic terrace at our Plazamar Serenity Resort. Accompany this pleasant moment with a drink from the snack bar and you’ll finally be able to enjoy some you time.
Reminding you of old school holiday memories at Gran Isla Hotels.